Ready for part 2? Click here!
This is our new, special season of The Daily Marketer, where we’ve spoken with over a dozen marketplace leaders & pioneers from Uber, Convoy, Bellhop, Doordash, Rover, as well as rising stars, so to gather proven blueprints, hacks & tactics to growing a marketplace. Enjoy!
Shauna Causey is the founder and CEO of WEEKDAYS, the leading micro-schools marketplace with the largest network of teachers who meet 6-8 students in small learning programs in a neighborhood home or small classroom.
The early days of the company go back to Madrona Venture Labs when Shauna, who was a Partner, couldn’t find a daycare or preschool nearby with an opening, so she decided to solve her own problem.
Shauna has a long history of being an executive, advisor, partner at landmark brands like Nordstrom, Comcast, and Google. Later, she got deeply involved in startups @ Decide (acquired by eBay) & Startup Weekend.
Over the course of 18 months, WEEKDAYS has grown to over 2,000 teachers in multiple major markets like Seattle, Denver, Los Angeles, & San Francisco, while developing programs across the rest of the country.
We dive deep into micro-schools…the challenges of building a skilled-worker marketplace, “accelerated growth” during COVID-19, the “childcare desert”, maturing a marketplace and ensuring “quality” over quantity.
This episode is particularly valuable for anyone who wants to learn from an experienced marketer launching a marketplace. specifically anyone who wants to learn the proven product & marketing details unfolding in a marketplace, “in the thick” of the early days.
Please help grow the show with us…by leaving a review on Apple Podcasts!
- What have you learned recently? What are you working on to become better at? [3:53]
- What do you find yourself asking for help for, lately? [4:59]
- What have you learned about learning? [7:40]
- How are micro schools similar or different to charter schools? [10:31]
- Why do we lose our creativity from childhood? [11:30]
- Lack of black & white scenarios in entrepreneurship [15:00]
- Why Jakub likes school [16:01]
- What is the one-room schoolhouse? [17:43]
- In these micro-schools, what’s the ability of the teacher? [19:41]
- What is the child care desert? [21:40]
- What are you doing with WEEKDAYS? [23:29]
- How did the pandemic affect WEEKDAYS? [25:10]
- Were you acquiring educators (supply) as well as parents & kids (demand)? [30:14]
- How did you think about the matching of supply & demand? [32:45]
- How WEEKDAYS has launched features for payments, text messaging, and curriculums [34:06]
Links from Episode
- Connect with Shauna: LinkedIn | Twitter
- 4 Quadrants of Personality Traits (Brian Tracy)
- Micro Classes
- Bloom’s 2 Sigma Study
- The History of Public Schools in America
- Mindset by Carol Dweck
- Child care in crisis
- Child care desert infographic by Center for American Progress
- Bright Horizons
- Madrona Venture Labs
- What is a Seed Round
- One-Room Schoolhouses Make a Covid-19 Comeback by Wall Street Journal
- Become a WEEKDAYS Founding Family
- What is NPS
- What is an MVP
What was your favorite ‘lesson learned’ from Shauna? Comment below!