Missed part 1? Click here!
This is our new, special season of The Daily Marketer, where we’ve spoken with over a dozen marketplace leaders & pioneers from Uber, Convoy, Bellhop, Doordash, Rover, as well as rising stars, so to gather proven blueprints, hacks & tactics to growing a marketplace. Enjoy!
Peter Hsu is the founder and CEO…of a stealthy co we can’t mention much about yet,
but more importantly over the course of 6.5 years Peter has served as a General Manager & COO for some of the most beloved marketplaces, with a proven track record as a successful OPERATOR.
He was the former COO of Bellhops, a full service MOVING marketplace operating in 40+ cities, where he supercharged growth to a 2.5x annual growth rate, switched from – to + contribution margin.
Before this, Peter served as General Manager of UBEREATS for the Southeast US region where he built UberEATS from pre-revenue in Atlanta to the dominant food delivery offering in the Southeast.
This conversation was impressive and a delight. Peter shares some tasty unspoken nuggets around successfully growing the supply side of a marketplace, along with the added complexity of a “3rd side” (restaurants) and the need to take care of your SUPPLY.
We dive deep into…hiring for “leaving velocity”, steps to a MARKETPLACE flywheel, being supply constrained, and how marketplaces are their own form of “magic”.
This episode is particularly valuable for anyone who wants to learn from an EXPERIENCED operator in the early days of household name marketplaces, or a product manager or founder in a startup in the food delivery or transportation industry or B2B plays.
Please help grow the show with us…by leaving a review on Apple Podcasts!
- How was Uber’s Surge a perfect balancing tool in a marketplace [1:17]
- (How did Uber’s changing prices) affect supply & demand? [1:56]
- How did you think about supply & demand constraints at Bellhop? [5:16]
- Why holding onto the highest skill elements of Supply, was important [6:36]
- How does Bellhop differentiate itself? So it starts to grow [8:19]
- How would the Bellhop Marketing team get more customers? Main drivers [10:19]
- How Customer Support works hand-in-hand with Marketing [11:52]
- What came 1st at Bellhop: supply (Egg) or demand (Chicken)? [13:08]
- How would you couch an entrepreneur or founder, of where to spend their time? [14:18]
- What would be the step, after subsidizing? [15:40]
- Rapid mayhem questions [18:59]
- How marketplaces are inherently messy places [21:32]
- Where can we find you? [25:20]
Links from Episode
- Connect with Peter: LinkedIn | Email |.Blog
- What is “Give 20, Get 20” (referral programs)
- Uber Eats
- What is a Bellhop Captain
- What is Peer-to-peer logistics
- eBay vs Amazon
- Gunshow (Atlanta restaurant)
- What is long haul trucking
- How to leave an Apple Podcasts review
What do YOU think is “best marketplace of all time”? Comment below!