Daniel O’Neill (@guardianofthedisc) is a 2-time Freestyle Frisbee World Champion and World Urban Games Gold Medalist, former Cirque du Soleil performer, who happens to also be a subject-matter-expert in recruitment marketing.
Daniel was formally the VP of Business Development at Bayard, one of the oldest and most reputable ad agencies in the world. Prior to Bayard, he worked at Recruitics where he cut his teeth on programmatic job ads and was a top sales performer, bringing in clients in the rapid growing “gig economy” space.
Outside of programmatic job ads, Daniel is a world-class freestyle frisbee performer and has been a dancer with the world famous Pilobolus dance theater, is Tournament Director for the Freestyle Frisbee World Championships, and travels the world doing what he loves.
Daniel holds a Bachelor’s in economics, theater, and dance from Columbia University.
This episode is particularly valuable for 1) FOUNDERS who want to consider recruitment marketing for say, a marketplace with buyers & sellers, or 2) SALES leaders who are seeking creative business development strategies for generating new business through sales.
Please help grow the show with me…
by reviewing the show on Apple Podcasts! If you leave a review, it’ll enter you into a $50 Amazon gift card contest, which we’ll announce the winner of every other Thursday.
- What creative approaches did you take at Recruitics and Bayard that lead to success (in sales)? [0:49]
- How the performing arts has given Daniel comfort with risk taking in sales tactics [6:31]
- How artists, actors, and dancers are strong candidates for sales [7:32]
- What are gig economy companies doing that’s working really well? [9:05]
- What would you recommend to startup founder, that you’ve learned from working with gig economy companies? [15:59]
- The importance of hiring experts for growth marketing channels [18:23]
- For someone building a personal brand, why not to be afraid to try paid advertising [19:14]
- One piece of advice you can offer to founders? [20:35]
- Why creativity and charisma are invaluable for sales people, for startups [22:33]
- Rapid growth questions [22:57]
- What marketing advice do you give that very few follow? [27:02]
Links from Episode
- Connect with Daniel: LinkedIn | Instagram | Twitter
- Social Selling via LinkedIn
- Download LinkedIn app here
- Wag Walking
- Corona Virus (COVID-19)
- Supply Side Acquisition (in gig economy companies)
- Data Analysis
- Supply Side Acquisition @ Uber
- Blue Ocean Strategy
- Target Custom Acquisition Cost
- Important of Brand Recognition
- Facebook Ads for Beginners
- Technology Adoption Lifecycle
- Coca-Cola (greatest marketer ever)
- The Chad & Cheese Podcast
- George Larocque HR Tech Blog
- All Marketers Are Liars by Seth Godin
- Linchpin by Seth Godin
- Start With Why by Simon Sinek
What was your favorite lesson from the episode? Comment below!