Ready for part 2? Click here!
Brian Marcus is a thought leader in affiliate and partner marketing and has been @ some of the largest brands, Google & eBay.
Although he currently is a Senior Director of Product Growth @ impact.com*, he’s had a career of bringing performance marketing CHOPS to every brand he’s joined.
Over the course of 10 years, Brian has built entire marketing programs, lead teams who managed >1,000 Advertiser Affiliate programs, authored The Ultimate Guide To Partner Marketing, and was named one of PerformanceIn’s “Top 50” most influential performance marketing leaders of 2020.
This conversation was…extremely interesting!
Brian dug so much into DIGITAL marketplaces and how there is so much open, untouched territory in the affiliate & partner marketing universe. You can tell he deeply enjoys teaching, by the way he holds court reveling in stories & providing explanations for what could be complex for a newbie listener.
We dive deep into…the “digital” marketplace being built @ impact.com, getting brands (i.e. demand) to join a digital marketplace 1st, the evolution of the affiliate space, creating MORE supply to balance the supply/demand power dynamics, and so much more.
This episode is particularly valuable for someone who wants to learn about digital marketplaces, but doesn’t know where to start, or executives and startup founders who want to leverage an incredible “3rd, hidden giant” outside of the 2 behemoth’s of Google ads & Facebook ads, at often what ends up being an incredible CPA & CVR.
BON APPETIT, dear listeners.
Please help grow the show with us…by leaving a review on Apple Podcasts.
- What do you love about music? [4:25]
- How did you get involved in the process of writing music? [6:03]
- And your son also makes music, is that right? [7:49]
- What’s the process to write music? [8:59]
- How music is like history [11:13]
- Sia’s experience writing music [11:53]
- How technology makes it easier to make music [14:10]
- What is great about impact.com’s marketplace they’re building [15:51]
- What is an affiliate? [16:19]
- What’s the difference between an affiliate and a partner? [17:53]
- What’s an example of monetizing a website, on a performance basis? [19:33]
- And then they can get paid in 2 different ways? CPA and revenue share [20:48]
- Is impact.com an affiliate network? [21:30]
- Is impact.com doubling down on enabling (more) partnerships? [23:55]
- Do you get brands 1st, or publishers 1st? [26:02]
- How do you think about getting the marquee brands 1st? [28:53]
- How impact.com acquired big clients, by giving them tools to build partnerships [31:20]
- Did impact.com give them the tools, and then get out of the way? [32:07]
- Did that type of a marketplace need the maturity of the brand? [33:42]
- How evolution of more demand & more supply is playing out right now [36:55]
- When you’re a digital marketplace in the middle, you’re just flexing with where the marketplace goes? [38:03]
Links from Episode
- Connect with Brian: LinkedIn | Twitter
- Season 2 episode with Brian Marcus
- Abby K music
- Red Rocks Ampitheatre
- How Sia Saved Herself, Rolling Stones
- Zero 7
- What an influencer is
- What a SaaS is
- Impact.com Partnership Cloud
- Network effects
- Performance Partnerships, by Bob Glazer
- What coupon affiliate is
- What loyalty affiliates are
What did you learn from Brian about marketplace dynamics? Consider commenting below 🙏🏽
*NOTE: since the original recording in September, 2021, I joined impact.com to help grow the Supply side (i.e. publishers, content creators, influencers) of their marketplace. In short, I liked the marketplace so much, I joined the company (name that ad)!